Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nuts about Nuts (Addicted to Pecans)

I decided to rename and freshen up my blog.  I am currently in Georgia (one extreme to the next, weather wise).  Being here in Georgia is like having summer all over again!  I've been staying with my sister.  They have a beautiful place on 25 acres of an old pecan plantation.

The pecans call me - "pick me up, don't let me just lay here".  It has almost become an obsession.  I can't go out into the yard without picking them up.  My sister seems to have no such compulsion, but my brother-in-law understands. He has the "fever" too.
So far, I have probably picked about 10lbs.  It doesn't seem like much when I type that out, but I feel like I have hit gold!  My sister says, "Well what are you going to do with them?'  Seriously.  Bake and cook!  Again the optimist, my sister, says, "You know they will all have to be shelled?"  Umm, yes, I may be from Alaska, but I do understand that.  So I have shelled some - evidently there nutmeats are not quite as big in some of these as I anticipated and some are not any good.  But, out of 1 gallon ziplock bag, I did get enough to chop for some cookies and this 2 cups toasted and chopped for brittle.
I still have another gallon bucket to shell. There is a commercial sheller nearby to which I may avail myself to in the future.

I have not even begun to pickup on the back acreage.  The dogs and I go out and traipse around the property as I go on my hunt.  My brother-in-law told me about a gizmo my sister had given him.  It is basically a waist-high metal pole with a spring-like attachment on the bottom.  It makes picking up the pecans a back saver.  Of course, I had to look in the shed for it as I thought maybe my sister had hid it on purpose.  I would not be thwarted!  It works amazingly well!

I will post more pictures of my pecan creations as I go, but I can hear those nutty voices calling and I must go get more!


No comments:

Post a Comment